Saturday, July 30, 2011

I Like Africa

Having your tin roof hammered by rain isn't a bad way to wake up. I guess it wasn't this bad an hour ago when I opened my eyes, but it's swelled to a downpour that's testing the capacity of the newly dug ditches lining the streets of Makeni. It'll never get old watching the race to get buckets under spouts of rainwater funneling out of the broken roof gutters. I talked to a resource volunteer from the SL-1 group, and she actually listed 'catching rain water' as a daily activity. I'm sure X-Box Kinnect will develop it into a game and I'll be able to dazzle whoever happens to be in the Best Buy lobby watching me play the demo when I get back.

Alright, can we just talk about chalk for a second. Really though- it's just some short, fragile, powder stick. A dime would laugh at its circumference, and, after an eraser has its way with it, it's about the shortest lived thing ever. But baby, I tell ya- it packs a dynamite punch. It's got the power to set 50 brains reeling in confused pain, has the capability to put a room full of people to sleep, or, ideally, can lift concepts out of a book and seemingly magic them into the minds of curious students. Alright, maybe I've been using my spare time to read too much Harry Potter these recent few days, but I've had to find fun anywhere I can manage to during summer school this last week. Not that it hasn't been enjoyable- the kids have been good. My JSSI class valiantly rose to the occassion to learn about the differences between plant and animal cells (even if Musu still adamantly claims there's no difference between her and a mango tree). My JSSIII class, battling through several sleepy mornings, has even managed to show me on their tests that they know the definitions of 'ecology,' 'population,' 'community,' etc., and the smartest ones have every classification from Kingdom down to Species at their brain's fingertips. Really, I think I'm more nervous than they are while I'm writing the test questions up on the board, but I've been reassured that I'm actually connecting with the class after I pick up their exams.

So just one more short week teaching in summer school ahead of us then we visit Freetown for a night. The program here thought it worthy to have a portion of training devoted specifically to the country's capitol- which is appropriate considering its population alone comprises over a third of all Sierra Leoneans. I feel a shade conflicted when they're giving us safety and security briefings about the beautiful Freetown beaches though- do I wear a speedo or a bullet proof vest? It'll be hard to get a sexy beast image on the beach if I'm wearing around a flack jacket... I thought the bug bites, skin rashes, boils, and ragged face 'beard' were already significant enough hinderances. I think I'll split the difference and wear swim shorts and a smile (You can get away with so much if you're armed with a smile here). So after the visit to the capitol, we've got just one week till swearing in. I'll admit that a change from the training class schedule will be welcome. I hope I enjoy the change of scenery to a more serene Mambolo as much as I've been imagining I will.

Alright, well the rain has stopped now. The eves are just dripping and the temperature has started to climb back up. I could keep myself locked inside reading all day, but I gave Ibrahim a toy car last night and he keeps driving it around on the veranda backwards... I feel that if he gets behind the wheel of a car, I'll be responsible for his confusion if i don't go set him right.

Make sure everyone around you is doing well, and while you're at it, make sure you're taking care of yourselves too.

No comments:

Post a Comment